Broadening Perspectives....


Ok enough with the "deep" and serious introspection of how I rather love someone rather than simply f%*k them.

Let's blog about something else. I am inspired by the fun yet honest blog entries of cheekysmile and badass angel, and I know I can count on greybits and primadonnaz to provide food for though each time they write.

I've been too busy facebook-ing to concentrate on blogging, which is a shame because I really love writing. And yes, cheekysmile. It's nice to go back to your older stuff you wrote.

It's so nostalgic to read what I felt like in, say, December 27, 2004 "Hari Yang Gile".
But fastforward to January 2008, and what do I find? - nadda, zilch, zero- there's no blog entries because I've almost given up on blogging.


Dude. Let's get this party started...again.


I had a bad fever yesterday so I didn't go to work. The doctor said I had viral fever, and gave me a short course of antibiotics. I am used to the fever-sore throat-cough combination. This time it had been going off-and-on for the past week. But I finally feel better now. Hopefully, I can start jogging at the lovely Denai Larian Pengkalan Assam again. It's not a fancy jogging track, but it's just nice to surround yourself with lots of trees once in a while. And I love to walk and jog with my MP3 player on, no doubt I'd have all my Timbaland, John Cougar Mellencamp, Live and Goo Goo Dolls blasting in my earphones. Best giler.....


I took it easy yesterday. As my fever was getting better, I managed to get a lot of house chores done. I finally replaced my toilet seat- Dude, it broke when I stepped on it to open my toilet window. It ain't my fault, hommie. And I am glad I bought a blue seat ....(yes, I do realise I'm rambling about a toilet seat now. Oh, who cares?). The blue colour adds a bit of life to the boring-looking loo. Wah...gitu!


After bathroom refurbishment I watched Buletin Utama, which in my opinion is THE best source of local news during prime time. I saw the reporters waiting outside the PM's department in Putrajaya an I felt so angry at the power-that-be for not providing newsmen with a proper waiting room at jabatan perdana menteri. I know lah, as reporters, kita tak boleh nak complain bebanyak pasal menunggu masa PC start- and we can't complain about where we end up waiting - the Putrajaya reporters had to wait under the tree and outside the gate. Aiyo. I admit, I've never had to wait outside the old PM's office in KL. But was it like this dulu, guys? I mean in the old PM's office?

Come on, Pak Lah. At least allow the Press corp to wait at the lobby of something, jadi lah. I'm sure you can accommodate the media, despite it being a closed door meeting.

Anyway, kudos to the ever-brilliant and ever "gempak" Putrajaya Angels - I saw HA and DL on TV3 - you guys rock! Takpe lah, hang semua terpaksa tunggu bawah pokok, janji rock..and you all dapat story yang best.


A word on local news on TV. The country needs a reliable and good local news network. Sure, Bernama TV will soon go on air, but I hope that it'll be a start of a solid news network, which focuses on local issues and people. And yeah, I hope it follows in the footsteps of BBC news network, Al Jazeera (to certain extents lah), CNN (in small doses, but it's still quite reliable) and Bloomberg. This Local News Network should also look to Singapore's Channel News Asia, which I feel is a great name for a regional news network.


I lurve flipping through the channels before work in the morning. But it's so difficult to find local news. There's barely any channel devoted to local news and information on Astro. I end up switching on AlJazeera or BBC or CTV9, which is a China-based English news network.

I'm disappointed at Astro's Awani channel, which feeds us nothing but trash, sometimes. Awani would rather feature the New Year resolutions of famous Hollywood supertstars rather than do a feature on the search for Sharlinie Mohd Nashar. And Awani's breaking news snippets are all foreign stories. Di mana berita-berita Pilihanraya ke-12 Malaysia? Di mana berita isu inkuiri video V.K. Lingam? Oh, wait we have to wait for the 8'o clock news for those stories.
Look, I love trivial issues every now and then, but perlu ke aku tau pasal what Claire Danes wore during her new film premiere? And to have those people working for Awani translate all those wire stories, for what? It's fine , but in small amounts, please.

Malaysia needs a credible and dynamic news channel, which concentrates primarily on local stories. And that news channel needs to hire reporters who have worked in newspapers, or they need to get TV3 news reporters, who always have a nose for great stories.

I have watched Channel News Asia numerous times when balik kampung in JB, and I have seen them focus on very Asian-centric issues. They have correspondents in all the major Asean countries, which is cool. That's what we should aspire to be like.Let the wires agencies, CNN, and BBC dish out the world news and we, us Malaysians focus on our own backyard.

Now I got that off my chest, I can go eat some yummylicious Nasi Ganja (something like nasi kandar)....Ciao

Comments

munchkin said…
Nyah.. Blue toilet seat is awesome. Try la ambil gambar too. Hehe. But how u? How's the fever? And yes, aku pun tak suka awani. Which reminds me, I think fids left awani to come bck to nst. Yeay.

Damn. I'm rambling. But yes, please try and blog more regularly cuz I love ur stories. Plus at least we'll know wht's happening in each other's lives :)

Love u loads and get well soon..
Anonymous said…
fever's ok now. I hope more of our former reporters get back the "mother" company, masa selat baru..hm about toilet seat pix, i'll see what i can do.

RIP Heath Ledger -u were such a gifted person - may God bless your soul

Rambler
Anonymous said…
Nothing but foreign news on Awani? Err... that's their positioning dude. Foreign reports in Malay. So get off your high horse.
Anonymous said…
yeah that and the fact that you caught the entertainment slot and not the news part rite?

spend a whole day watching awani and you tell me whether the fight for freedom in palestine is trivial.

nobody's forcing you to watch awani.
so move along.
Roulefx said…
Hye Hayden,

I guess u didn't quite understand which position does Astro Awani stand at..

FYI, Astro Awani is an International NCA channel.... Because there's a lot of channel that focusing on local issues... Awani would like to target foreign issues as that's our USP... We covered in-depth analysis of global issues such as Global Warming, US Subprime crisis, Mideast Conflicts... which i do found there's lack of coverage on those issues by our local media.

And Awani gave Malaysian the best on foreign coverage for example, Awani was the first to cover and informed the audience of the assasination of Benazir Bhutto (even faster than CNN, Al-Jazeera).

Even their feature programs such as Sudut Pandang and Perspektif Kita gave us local issues according to the local perspectives. Yes, Awani is a news channel. Awani tend to be informative instead of stealing the limelight. Awani had set the local agenda; bringing foreign into local packages.

I know that, we might question on "apa kena-mengena perang sana-sini dgn Malaysia?"

Awani is responsible to inform (not to educate) Malaysian on what's-goes-around the world. Which i hardly found it on local media especially TV3 that only focusing on small little thing.

Anyway... i just want you to know Awani better.. here's link to its site http://www.astro.com.my/programming/channels/awani/

"tak kenal maka tak cinta"
Roulefx said…
Oh.. forget..

I'm sure there will be big for 12th Election from Awani..

Sure.. there will be local news as Awani have a strong base on Malaysia's Media, later...

Now it's just about niche'!
Anonymous said…
OK, I may have been unfair in my opinion of Astro Awani. It is after all a channel devoted to foreign news, anyway. Yes, foreign stories such as the Palestinian conflict is very very important for us Malaysians to know about. But I believe there's still room for more local content. In this matter, I commend Awani for having solid magazine programmes on local issues. Maybe I wasn't clear in my views- I am looking for a channel where I can find the local news, instantly when I wake up in the morning- I guess even CNN can't air news programmes 24/7. They need to have balance by airing opinion shows and sports stuff too. I'm taking on your challenge, and I'm gonna watch Awani for a day.....thanks 4 ur comments: Rambler (Hayden)
Roulefx said…
Thanks anyway,

Yes, there will be more on Awani...

We are about to have more local contents and as time being we do have, (i think) one of the best talk shows and features such as Sudut Pandang, Perspektif Kita, WW,Tamu Awani, etc..

Those programs are tailored made to fit into local perspective, intended to inform (remember not to educate) as we believe our citizen are pandai-pandai belaka.

So, i wanna ask you, how frequent do we have and watch those kind of programs? I'm sure and bet it's rarely to have those programs on our local media.. What we have in store, just more and more reality shows, which i do found annoying rather than entertaining...

Anyway, we would like you to be on Awani, maybe someday, as we can talk and share our ideas in improving local content and bringing the best for our audience....

Thanks, i accept your comment from a positive view..

TQVM.

Popular Posts