Hidup Malaysia!





Yikes! What a wake up call that was. Yes, I am talking about the 12th general election in Malaysia.

The Opposition parties have 82 out of the 222 parliament seats. The ruling coalition, Barisan Nasional (BN) has 138 parliament seats. That means BN had been denied their two third majority, and only got a simple majority. BN will still rule the country, but with a decreased representation in parliament.

It's an exciting time for Malaysians, people say. I, on the other hand am unsure on how to deal with the results. I support the inclusion of more opposition reps in parliament. Hopefully it would encourage the BN members of parliament and assemblymen to buck up.

My first thoughts after March 8 was "Am I dreaming?". I was in disbelief. Being born in 1980, I never knew of any other establishment other than BN. Heck I never thought anyone else could be prime minister other than Tun Dr M.

But change is inevitable. I mean, Pak Lah could not be riding his bluewave forever, right? In 2004, he was new. People were optimistic of the new administration. It was all about new beginnings. Fast forward four years and people are comparing the recent general election to 1969. Not the most comforting comparison, I must say.That was the year when the Alliance (the old name for BN) lost a two third majority. That year the Alliance, or Perikatan lost Penang to Gerakan, which was then an opposition party. That was also the year of the May 13 racial riots, which I learned happened three days after polling day.

Zainon Ahmad wrote in the Sun last year. He outlined the events that lead to and events that followed the 1969 riots. Zainon's story said that a state of emergency was declared following May 13 . Parliament was suspended indefinitely. Prime Minister Tunku Abdul Rahman ruled the country through the National Operations Council (NOC) with his deputy, Tun Abdul Razak Hussein, who became director of operations.

More than a year later, Tunku resigned as PM and Tun Razak took over.

My take on the 2008 election is from a half apolitical, half oberver kind of perspective.Because I used to be very very ignorant of politics. My only exposure to politics was after joining my current company five years ago. Prior to that, my only political exposure was mocking the BN and Semangat 46 during my primary school days. My schoolmates and I used to laugh our heads off when we refered to BN as "Barisan Neraka" and Semangat 46 as "Setan 46". Childish, or what? I was 10 years old, mind you.

As an adult (really, ah?) I was forced to find out about politics because it was part of my job. Though it was initially tough to understand, I have to say politics can be interesting sometimes. Talking with politicians and talking to the laymen about politics is pretty exciting. However I have learned that certain party supporters tend to be so passionate and go "Hidup...! (insert your political party here). More importantly I've learned that politics is a reflection of life. It's about the relationships, the wants, desires and communications we conduct with people around us. Politics is about standing up for what you want, beb...And it's human nature to backstab and slander other people. It's also human nature to overly praise, passionately advocate and shamelessly name drop other people for your own cause, or for your group's cause.For all this realisation, I have to thank my seniors from the political desk (you know who you are- thank you very much). They taught me a lot about political reporting, and I learned a lot from all of you. (So Mr C, let's have that reunion already)

OK, now back to elections 2008.

I can't predict how Pas will rule Kedah. And I can't predict what's it going to be like in Penang, Perak and Selangor after this. It's a whole new ball game and the rules have changed. So I hope BN would change as well. Those BN TV commercials, billboards and radio ads were a good effort, but I suppose it did not reach out to everyone. It did not reach out to the yuppie who works in a multinational firm in KL and gets his news from Malaysiakini and Agendadaily. It did not affect the makcik in Alor Star who is scared of letting her six-year-old granddaughter play outside, fearing the menace of paedophiles. And those chirpy commercials did not convince the vegetable farmer in Johor who is bitching about the increased price of pesticide.

Of course, it was not all about TV commercials. In Penang, DAP ceramahs pulled in big crowds. In Selangor, people were unhappy that the authorities had yet to address certain issues about places of worship. My dad, who became an Opposition party supporter since 1998 thinks the BN is full of corrupt, power-hungry people.

On the other hand, there are many hardworking BN reps. In this regard I agree with Cheekysmile that some hardworking BN reps were booted off. But I suppose many voters wanted a change. And somehow that voice of change reverberated throughout the country.

I have always believed in the BN doctrine. I admit, I fell for the ways of BN. You know, the whole "We are the ruling coalition since the days of Merdeka. We have brought the rakyat tremendous economic wealth and political stability. We have united all the races through our power-sharing concept. And we have brought about these things consistently".....

I have always believed the ruling coalition has ensured we got all of that. My belief is probably based on the fact that there has never been any other ruling party. That's a good thing because BN could safely get support from people like me, thus allowing BN to worry more about development. But it's also a bad thing because people who are "at the top" tend to get fat, complacent and bored. It's a fat face syndrom, which is how actor Jamie Foxx described his complacency during a mid-career crisis. Fat face syndrom caused some of the BN reps to be complacent. But not all BN reps are complacent, lah. Some are so so hardworking. You may disagree.

So it is only fair to allow other reps, even Opposition reps to take over and flex their muscle, no? Try them out. Cuba, try, test. Hey, it's probably better for the rakyat and better for those fat faced reps as well- at least they can retreat and better themselves for the future.

I have to say that it is very healthy for Malaysia to go through all this. Malaysia is one of few countries which has a very small Opposition voice. We never really had a strong and vibrant opposition, like in other countries. It's good to keep check and balance so that our MPs are on their toes.

And I know many people are afraid of things to come. Example: my theatre group is scared stiff at how the new Pas government is going to manage the arts centre. Will there be strict rules against plays, costumes or dances? New MB Azizan says that nothing much would change as he wants people to understand Islam before implementing any form of Islamic law. So instead of jumping the gun, let's see what these new guys have in store. I know many are unsure and scared. I may be one of them. But I'm optimistic, as well. Because I know this is not 1969. It's 2008. It's not even 2004 when Pas was advocating its Islamic state promise. It's a whole new beginning.

Everyone wants peace to prevail. We want growth, prosperity, harmony among the people and opportunities. That's all. If you, our elected representatives can give me opportunities, be it in work, education, and overall equality, then baby I'm yours! I will vote for you, baby. You sexy beast, you! Now work your thang in parliament!

A word on Johor


A view of downtown Johor Bahru, with the state administration
building at the background.


My whole BN-inclined views may have something to do with the fact that I'm Johorean. Johor is very much a BN and Umno bastion. Most of my family members are staunch BN supporters, except for my dad who changed his political ideologies after 1998. As a Johorean, I know fully well that neither DAP,Pas or Parti Keadilan Rakyat could rule the state properly. Sure, we could give them a chance to practice what they have promised. But they could not rule Johor, of all places. BN has long established itself in Johor and the majority of Johoreans are used to life under BN's rule. Of course, there are grouses on everything from rising prices of essential goods to bureaucracy in government agencies. Johoreans have yet to translate those gouses into votes. Johoreans, like many other Malaysians have learned to deal and accept those weaknesses as part of BN's flaws. Johoreans want development for themselves and their kids. Johoreans, who have been exposed to all things Singapore and grew up on a healthy diet of Singapore TV, know that Malaysia has a long way to go towards Developed and Cool Nation status. I am not saying that Singapore is 100 per cent cool. The Lion City can be a killjoy sometimes, but you can't deny it has topnotch infrastructure. The latest music CDs and gadgets usually arrive in Singapore before arriving en Malaisie (French for in Malaysia). Sacre bleu! Back in the 1980s, Johoreans would jokingly boast about how they had watched the latest episode of "Remington Steel" or "Facts of Life" much earlier than anyone in KL....huhu. But that was before Astro and internet, dahhhling....
Johoreans are particularly proud of their state-born leaders, i.e Tun Hussein Onn, Datuk Onn Jaafar, Muhyiddin Yassin, Halimah Sadique, Ong Ka Ting. I am proud of them, to certain degrees lah. It is with this pride that Johoreans bring with them every where they go- I can vouch for this. Wah, semangat kenegerian dah ni! I know many Johoreans are proud to be Johoreans despite living in other states.

But seriously, the supposedly 'indestructable'Johor BN could possibly crumble. In 2004, the BN was soooo overly confident that they stumbled over the nomination paper in one constituency and Bamm!... Pas won its first ever state seat in Johor. Now the Opposition have one parliament and six state seats in Johor.

BN won all but one of the 26 parliament seats in Johor. (the sole Opposition parliament seat is in Bakri, Muar). Johor BN won 50 out of 56 state seats. DAP won four state seats while Pas won two.

Comments

Popular Posts