Bought a whole bunch of DVDs when I went back home last week. Got lots of award-nominated movies. It is after all awards season. The Golden Globes just wrapped up and soon it'll be the Grammys, Screen Actors Guild and Oscars on March 5.
So I bought this bunch of DVDs right: Brokeback, History of Violence, The Family Stone, Elizabethtown, In Her Shoes, Hustle and Flow and Dirty Love. OK, the last movie ain't award-worthy, but hell we can't be so serious all the time. We need fluff- good fluff at least. And my friends were telling me how funny the film was. So I had to check it out.

It's all about movies now. I'd come back from work and straight away hit the DVD stacks and I'm trying to finish all the movies I bought. Taking a long time. And I haven't finished the TV shows I'm suppose to return to my friends.

Being back in my hometwon was quite weird. I was just so amazed (and proud) of how big my hometown had become. There was this new huge shopping mall which was similar to One Utama. It was just so big and bright with all these fancy boutiques and shops. It was a great day- I brought my parents there for lunch.

I went to Danga Bay two nights in a row. Danga is this eating/lepaking/leisure/amusement place which overlooks the sea. It's so near my house and really very lovely. Even watched Memoirs of Geisha with mum. Nice movie, nothing extraordinary but OK. ALRIGHT. Movies are my thing, kan? I just wished it was a little bit more, y'know? They could have done more. But that's just me. I'm sure hundreds of people liked the movie. I'm just one of those who thought it wasn't good enough.

I digress.

Met two of my friends who live back home. Went out a couple of times. Had a small reunion with the old gang. A friend of ours held his wedding and the whole gang (just five of us, mind you) was invited. The highlight of the reunion was definitely watching Fahmi get grilled by the rest of the group for disappearing for two years. More so, when during those two years he like, got married. I'd already met Fahmi several months back, so I was ok with him . But my other friends gave him quite a hard time. Being the drama queens they are, they certainly 'mami-jarum'-ed Fahmi a lot.

But the drama only lasted maybe 20 minutes, but it was all in a very unserious, and kinda funny manner. My friends being really crazy and all.

Another thing about the vacation was meeting two people during two separate occassions, and talking for hours until Subuh. Gosh, I never thought I could hang out with people just chatting. Of course, my intentions were unpure, but heck we just ended up talking. Why oh why couldn't I get lucky? Chatting was nice though.

But I don't sweat it for I am back at work. And strangely enough my luck is better here. 'Tis strange. Maybe I'm not cut-up for big bulging cities anymore, eh?


I wanted to do a complete review of this movie, The Family Stone, but I think I'll just say what I feel. Like Luke Wilson telling Sarah Jessica Parker in the movie: "Why don't you say what you mean?"

Here's part of that review.....
Comedy may be the best medium to convey deep emotions on celluloid. It's easier to be touched by a comedy rather than go through two-hours of heart-wrenching melodrama. For performers, comedy IS the most difficult thing to pull off. Everyone can be a drama queen, but to make people laugh? That requires great skill and hard work.

The Family Stone, is one hell of a comedy, but it pulls plenty of heartstrings. The cast is made in heaven, with venerable veterans and young'uns put together in one fine ensemble.

I thought Sarah Jessica Parker was good as the hopelessly bitchy Meredith. Diane Keaton held her own as the mother of the Stone family. But really it was the names on the credits that was such a turn on. I mean, hello! Claire Danes, Dermot Mulroney (the groom in My Best Friend's Wedding), Keaton! Parker! Rachel McAdams!

Mind you Sarah Jessica Parker plays one annoying, hopelessly sad bitch, who is introduced to the rest of the Stone family as Mulroney's girlfriend. Now Mulroney is suppose to marry Parker until Parker's sister (Claire Danes) gets into the picture and steals Mulroney's heart. The thing is Parker is fine with it coz she ends up liking Mulroney's brother. I will stop writing a synopsis.

The movie is a touching son of a bitch. A good family comedy. And drama too here and there. Because you really can pull so many dramatic effects inside a comedy. You really can. So that's why comedy is so damn effective, yet so damn susah to buat.

Comments

Popular Posts