Previously on the crazy little blog-novel I call JAKE.....

After washing his face, he went back to bed, slowly, so that he wouldn't wake her up. He was about to sleep when she started wrapping her arms around him. All her floral scent was overcoming him again. She kissed his neck. He was half awake, the sun was shining through the curtains. He kissed her lips.


Hold me tighter you fool
the day is getting longer
This may be our last chance
so make it good, make it worth your while and mine
Take it all, you deserve it
I'll show you mine
Hold me tighter
tighter
kiss me more
Hold it deeper
I'm deeper
I'm deeper
Hold me tighter
Hold me tighter
I'll keep you in my arms

Jake checked out of the hotel just before lunchtime.


*******************************************************************




JAKE (part 13)

He slipped back home just after 2pm. He had grabbed a bite to eat at the French Quarter. He had some coffee and a beignet. It was the fucking afternoon, but hell he was going to treat it like breakfast.
Thoughts of lazing on the couch watching reruns of old sitcoms were erased when he got a call from his colleague, Ted.

"Jake, where the fuck have you been?"
"I was out all night. What to do?"
"Out all night? Man, I told you not to go to that new bar. It's full of coked-up women, man. And the drinks are all watered down. Who cares if the furniture is avant-garde? It's suppose to be the latest hangout spot in town but frankly it's all just hype, dude."
Jake was getting annoyed.
"Alright, alright! Obviously you're upset. The next time I go, I'll invite you."
"Bitch," said Ted, which was usually code that he was jealous that Jake got laid, or that the boss favoured Jake in some matter.
Today it was going to be the latter.
"Hey, the reason I called is that Fallon's announced his list of those covering the UN summit.
"Christ! Is that why you called me? It's my off day, thank you very much."
"You're on it, man. And you got full custody of the curtain raiser."
Jake managed a faint smile amid his lack-of-sleep face. While he was lying down on the couch talking to Ted, the words 'You're on it' put a sparkle in his eye and suddenly Jake was excited and standing up. Walking back and forth from his kitchen into the living room.
"Who else got it? No. Don't tell me. Susan, right? and Jack Bing! Am I right?"
"Who else knows the UN inside out. Plus they needed someone to blow Kofi Annan for the free trade zone story."
"You're fucking sick, you know that, Ted?"
"You're praises are flattering, Jake. But I'm telling you this could be the big break you needed. Once you're there, then there's nothing they won't do for you."

(to be continued)




Jake Part 14


Jake was proud of himself by now. He was 32, single and willing to please his bosses. He loved his job more than anything. And he had sacrificed time and energy to be where he was now. Being from Baton Rouge didn't help either. The common mentality was that he would always be an outsider to the cosmopolitan New Orleaneans. It didn't help that he sometimes, though not as often as he used to, speak in his Lousiana drawl.
He wasn't proud of it, but he learned at 24 not to give shit. Now he lets his accent hang loose.
"So what if I sound like a fucking redneck from the bayou? At least I do a hell of a job," he once said, half drunk, to some colleagues after work.
"So what the fuck do you care! Motherfucker!"
Jake had a tendency to be overly dramatic during the most unexpected times. He did have his mood swings. His closest friends would know when to lie low. But most of his colleagues have never seen that part of Jake.

The phone rang.
It was Madeline, Jake's mother in Baton Rouge.
"JJ I've got bad news. I can't come over the weekend."
"Why not?" he managed to sound concerned.
"The medicine's not sitting well with me. Your father is no help either. Always going out to catch a few fish, drinking budweisers with Moe and Luke out on the lawn. Making a mess of the place, as usual..."
"Mom, don't start."
"I'm sick and tired JJ. And now I'm literally sick, what with this darn medicine I'm taking. Anyways, I can't make it this weekend, honey. So you just got to tell your sister that I can't make it."

Usually Jake would talk more, but he wanted to end the conversation with his mother as quickly as possible. He wanted to bask in his current victory of getting a major assignment

"I'll see what I can do."

He couln't help asking about his father. They exchanged small talk and Jake said goodbye and put down the phone.

He sat there on his four-seater fabric sofa, cordless phone on his left hand while his right hand scratching the maroon sofa fabric.

Scratch, scratch, scratch. It made a sound, which became louder. He took his right hand and sniffed the back of his palms. He then dialed a number on the cordless phone.

A low female voice answered the call.

"Hello." said the sleepy voice.
"Hi."
"Hey, how you doin'?"
"Okay. Could feel much better."
"Oh, I see. It's that type of call."
"What type of call?"
"Argh.."
"I know you were on all night. But what if I propose to you something..."
"Can't handle big words now. Still half asleep. What do you want, Jake?"
"I want to come over."
A long pause, and then a sigh from the woman.
"Christ, get a fucking life Jake."
"You know that turns me on when you say that."
"I know you're speaking but it's all sounds like blah blah blah right. Wordy." She was officially pissed off that he woke her from sleep. She was also mumbling.

"Please, let me come over. I want to come over. Can I?"
"Ermmm...well..ok...I dunno. Can I just sleep while you come over. You can watch me sleep. That doesn't sound right." She was mumbling and talking nonsense.
"I'm gonna kill you."
"I'll be there in 20 minutes."

**********************************

Jake took his key from his back pocket. He opened the front door, then closed it behind him. He sneaked slowly through the living room and then pushed open the bedrrom door which was left slightly ajar.

"Knock, knock," he said half whispering.
The young woman curled up in comforter and pyjamas was ignoring him. Probably sleeping, he thought. Nah.

jake hung his leather coat behind the bedroom door. He peeled off his wool sweater and took off his jeans. Jeans and sweater lay on the floor. Jake was standing close to teh woman's head by the side of the bed.

Waky waky, Dr Green. Paging Dr Elena Green. He slowly lifted up some the comforter which was wrapped around her legs. He held her from behind. He kissed her neck from behind.

"Just sleep. I'm tired."

Jake pulled his body closer to her with his arms enveloped around hers, the best way he knew how. They stayed that way for the rest of the afternoon.

Comments

Popular Posts