It Should be Illegal

Alas Florentino Ariza drowns his loneliness in the comnfort of a stranger's arms,

At the brothel, the young telegraph worker rises up and up
as the stars shine bright and are pointed sharp, and hot
His tired look makes him look older than his age.
He gets shorter with age,
He feels smaller by every year.
Every night it's someone different,
a different face,
a different smile,
a different word whispered in the ear
Hush now, I know you do it, you look like one of us
every night, his loneliness grows stronger,
Florentina Ariza dislikes being with women he's been with.
He drowns his loneliness in the arms of a stranger

----------------------

He never thought that a brief encounter with his butcher would suffice
He never felt more stimulated,
by just saying "hello" and having the grocer say "hello, how are you today?"
and Florentino replying back "I'm good, thank you".
He realises something very crucial

Loneliness should be made illegal
He feels so much by merely exchanging greetings with the florist by the roadside,
His heart comes back to life when he speaks to the young cashier at the 7-eleven

Florentino Ariza realises something else a few days later
Loneliness was a friend with whom he had been close with during his youth
Now that friend is long gone
He needs him no more
he's getting older, this telegraph worker named Florentino Ariza
and Loneliness is something he could do without



-------------------

And here's a line from "Every Breath You Take", just for fun:

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace
I dream at night, I can only see your face
I look around, but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold, and I long for your embrace
I keep crying baby, baby please,

Comments

Popular Posts