Precious

Uncle Abu has stage 3 lung cancer. I'm shocked because it was only last year that I met him and he was fit as a fiddle. It's so weird how life turns out.
I met him last year during my parents' anniversary dinner. He was his usual jovial and chatty self. That night in April 2006, we were on the topic of marriage and he said to me: "Saya rasa kamu ni akan kahwin orang bukan Melayu." tetiba je...
Uncle Abu, who is approaching 70 and his wife, Auntie Rose have been friends of my family for many years. The couple are one of few friends whom my parents are close with.

This afternoon I visited him and Auntie Rose for Hari Raya. He was bedridden throughout our visit. When I sat beside his bed and introduced myself (his hearing is bad), he told me: "I'm really in a bad state now." His cough was constant and wet. I'm really sad for what happened to him. Mum said he was diagnosed with cancer barely three months ago.

Life is so so precious. Why do we waste so much time and energy on unnecessary things such as overworking ourselves till late at night, enslaving ourselves to our office and mobile phones, and spending so much money on things we don't need. Meanwhile, our mothers, fathers, uncles and aunts are growing older. Life is passing by so fast that I wonder how did it get to 2007 so soon. And the year is about to end!

I want to unclutter my life. I want to go back to basics, in terms of my outlook in life and the way I live. Firstly, I eat too much. I compulsively buy Starbucks latte each time I go to Georgetown. But I forget why do I like it in the first place. I love coffee, but I get the same, if not more satisfaction with a simple Nescafe panas at the kopitiam near my office. And I love the cheaper Nescafe 3-in-1 sachets, dude.

I think I should go back to walking. I used to walk all over campus during university. Of course, I looove my car and where it has taken me, but heck, let's walk at least once a day.

Comments

babe, i so agree with you. we so have to appreciate everything around us. n...dont forget to tell the people you love that you love them. if tak sempat, memang menyesal tak sudah ok...tsk tsk.

Popular Posts