Many have praised me in my job.

Bossed have commended me, colleagues say I'm co-operative. The seniors guided me a lot. I've covered major assignments including the Umno general assembly, elections, Pak Lah, Najib, even did a crime and sports story. So I should be good reporter right?

But why do feel like a lousy one? Firstly I can't type properly- have you seen me type on the PC- i type so slowly and my fingers are just struggling. I end up jumbling all the letters up. For example:

I aam an NST wiorjekr whao has been around for two yaers thsi aMa;ly. I would be 25 thsi yeara
(I am an NST worker who has been around for two years this May. I would be 25 years)


And I feel I've been protected a lot in the past. The seniors helped me a lot. They put my byline in stories, eventhough I barely did anything. they helped with my stories, sometimes even.

I guess I just feel unworthy.

I'm not teh greatest reporter in the world. I don't think I have the greatest news sense.

And you have people approcahing me saying that I look like teh type of perosn who stay in teh company for doggone years and end up becoming an editor. A colleague even told me I'm doing well. heck I've gotten lots of front page leads, even one on my own. Some ministers like the sports minister recognises me.

BUT, I don't see myself doing this for life.

During the training session today, somebody asked me why I was doing journalism, whether it was just a transition, that I quit this job and look for another job. Of course I said no, and said this job had taught me a lot of things- it is after all my 1st job ever. It's made a me a better person- it teaches me to be accurate and curious and to be brave enough to apporach people and ask away. Because I've never been that sort of person- to approach people.

I even told an editor once that I only regard NST as just a job, to which the editor replied: "No, it's not JUST a job."
The editor made me promise that as long as I am here, I should not think that way. I should think of it as championing the rights of everyday people, to highlight issues that matter to the people, to make a change.

Really, ah?

But seriously, I want to do so many other things in life. And this is not it. My life isn't going to stop here. I'm not just going to be in the NST forever. Right?

Look, I'm not that in love with NST, unlike some of the people who are here and who have resigned. It's an OK place with great people- that's about it. As I said to someone before- the company doesn't own me.

It's just that there are other things that I want to achieve in my life. And with the tight schedule I currently have, there's no way I see myself achieving my other goals in life. Unless I quit.

Comments

Popular Posts