Come to my Window by Melissa Etheridge

I WOULD DIAL THE NUMBERS JUST TO LISTEN TO YOUR BREATH
I would stand inside my hell
And hold the hand of death
You don't know how far I'd go
To ease this precious ache
You don't know how much I'd give
Or how much I can take

Just to reach you
Just to reach you
Just to reach you

Come to my window
Crawl inside, wait by the light
of the moon
Come to my window
I'll be home soon

Keeping my eyes open
I cannot afford to sleep
Giving away promises
I know that I can't keep
Nothing fills the blackness
That has seeped into my chest
I need you in my blood
I am forsaking all the rest
Just to reach you
Just to reach you
Oh to reach you

Come to my window
Crawl inside, wait by the light
of the moon
Come to my window
I'll be home soon

I don't care what they think
I don't care what they say
What do they know about this
love anyway
**********************************

My head is filled with music, video clips, scenes from TV shows and movies. When I saw Melissa Etheridge's Greatest Hits album at the CD shop recently, my head instantly played 'Come To My Window' and bam! I was transported back 12 years ago. Juliette Lewis swaying her arms in the air like a madwoman in the black and white music video.

That's what I'm about. Music videos, TV shows, music. Play me the first part of any song and I can guess the title and the artist in three seconds. And I remember the most trivial things.

Who won the Grammy award for Best Pop Vocal Female Performance in 1994? Whitney Houston for I Will Always Love You. The year before that? K. D. Lang for Constant Craving. The year after that? Sheryl Crow for All I Wanna Do.

Just ask me who won what in the 1990s, and chances are I can answer it. Nyahhh.....what's my point?
Who won the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role in 1998? Jack Nicholson for As Good As It Gets. Best Rock Vocal Peformance by A Duo or Group in 1999? Pink by Aerosmith.

Ok, enough already.

Ever since I was a teenager, I enjoyed watching the Grammys, Oscars, American MusicAwards. I'd videotape the shows and watch them again and again, especially the musical performances.

Much later, I learned to appreciate the acceptance speeches. I realised the more prestigious the award, the more inspiring the speeches were. Tom Hank's acceptance speech for Best Actor in 1994 was one that stood out. It was his first Oscar for potraying a gay lawyer in Jonathan Demme's 'Philadelphia'. People still talk about how Hanks thanked his gay drama teacher in high school who had who touched his life.

Usually the ones who win top awards give the best speeches. Russel Crowe, who simply thanked his mom and dad and telling the audience that dreams can come true. Or Julia Roberts blurting out her trademark laugh midway through her speech.

The Golden Globe Awards is one show where anything can happen. And it's so intimate because everyone is seated at round dinner tables.

Actress Christine Lahti made Golden Globe history in 1998 by being in the toilet when she was announced as Best Actress in a Drama Series. In that same show, Ving Rhames gave away his Best Actor for a Miniseries award to Jack Lemmon, probably the most gracious moment in any award show.

I don't know why I can remember all these things. I can't remember anything much, but those award shows I videotaped, Gosh it just sticks to my memory.

Comments

Popular Posts