September used to be about two things in Hollywood: The Prime Time Emmy Awards and MTV Video Music Awards. Traditionally these two events would be held during the first week of September. But since 9/11, the respective organisers set the date earlier to not coincide with the anniversary of that tragedy. So, like we've seen this past week in late August, there was the Emmys and the VMAs yesterday.

Personally I like the VMAs better because it has musical performances. Plus I love music videos ever since I could remember. As a kid during the 80s I was mesmerised watching people like Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Michael Jackson and the Bangles in video clips. I remember most those year-end music video shows, which gathered all the hottest clips of the year in one hour. By the 90s, I had a huge collection of music videos I'd record on videotape. My collection of "Music Videos" spanned more than 20 tapes, I'm sure. A lot of my favourite music and its accompanying visuals came from that decade: Mariah Carey, Madonna (can't get rid of her, can we?), Stone Temple Pilots, Take That.
Basically, music videos rock! During the new millenium, I started buying "MTV VCDs" and "MTV DVDs", which are just fancy names for a disc with a variety of music videos.


This year's VMAs was reportedly very shocking because many underdogs took home the moonman. Many big names (Christina Aguilera, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Madonna) went home empty handed. Instead first-time nominees Panic! At The Disco won Best Video of the Year for their Carnivale/KD Lang's Contant Craving-ish music video "I Write Sins not Tragedies". Very colourful. Very catchy song, which I happen to like and I even bough the CD....But really, dahhhlings, were they supposed to win? So what's next? A Grammy award for Best Pop Duo or Group Performance? Well I never.....!

Honestly, even until the eve of the VMAs, I found it hard to choose the Best Video of the Year. It was anyone's guess between rookies Panic!, and other nominees, Shakira, Christina Aguilera, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Madonna. My money was on the Chilli Peppers considering the video was hot and their album, Stadium Arcadium was too.

But secretly I still hoped that Maddie could repeat her success in 1998 when she won the top prize for "Ray of Light". But considering her age and how out-dated yet trying-to-look-cool image she brings with "Hung Up", I knew the VMAs wouldn't pick her.

That leaves the now married Christina, who insists on writing groovy love songs, intead of those sappy stereotypical tunes about being in L-O-V-E. The result was her first single "Ain't No Other Man" taken from her latest album "Back to Basics." This video was my second choice to win. It had the moves and it had that classic 40s look. Very slick yet very youthful.

Then there was Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean on "Hips Don't Lie" . Come on, people. Did you think that this Fifa World Cup song would win. It cannot. It was a great song- for up to a week- then you get sick of it.

But I must say, Panic! At The Disco had the youthful exuberance to triumph at the VMAs. Of course, I expected them to just win Best New Artist in a Video and be done with it, but nooo...they had to win big. But that's teh thing about this year's award, Panic! did not win Best New Artist, that went to some band called Avenged Sevenfold (Don't worry I'm sure local radio stationa would start playing their song after this. It was the same case with Fall Out Boy last year) And don't you think Panic! sound almost like Fall Out Boy? You know, that other emo-rock group which became famous only after winning the moonman last year for the Viewer's Choice video. Ahhh...last year it was FOB and this year it was PATD.

But I am happy, that the VMAs returned to Radio City Music Hall this year after being held in Miami for the past two years. It was at Radio City that the VMAs started and some of its best shows were held there.

Comments

Popular Posts