Farewell

Tonight was my farewell night. It was a double bill: a farewell for both myself and my colleague, Ally. It was held at the Chinese restaurant at Holiday Villa Hotel. The steam boat was okay, but the mango cake from Secret Recipe was excellent! Juicy chunks of mango flesh baked inside sponge cake and topped with lovely icing. Heavenly!

My boss gave a heartfelt speech. He paid tribute to Ally and how she was the pillar of strength in the office. Ally's is all that and more: she's an enthusiastic and energetic reporter. And she took care of the office's welfare by providing biscuits and air fresheners for the toilets. She did all the work when the office applied for Astro. She is the unofficial office manager, and her leaving would be a big loss for our office.

For me, she was my teacher in journalism. She taught me so much that I would be forever indebt to her. She makes me want to be a better reporter. It was a hard lesson to learn, there were times where she could be very difficult and very demanding. But her intentions were never malicious. She only wanted to impart her knowledge, which she had learned from her predecessors.

The best thing about Ally is how humble she is. She doesn't have that air of "I'm a super duper senior" about her. Everything that you've gone through as a reporter- she's been through it as well. And she's not ashamed to admit to her mistakes in the past. She's always gracious in telling stories about her days as a rookie reporter.
Whatever fears and blunders you've made as a reporter, she's experienced it, and she can share with you her similar experience. I guess it's true Ally, you and me are alike in many ways. She's always telling me that she sees a lot of herself in me. It's like I'm the younger male version of Ally, haha..


Most importantly, Ally motivates me and tells me I should be the best at whatever I do.
Whatever happens, I wish her the best and congratulate her on the promotion.
She deserves it!

---------------------
Now that I'm all alone here I must motivate myself all the time.
I must have the strength to do my work well.
It's a great responsibility.
But at the same time, I must take care of myself. No one's going to do that for me. It's a bit pathetic if a 27-year-old man has to rely on others to take care of himself.

I do feel a bit lonely sometimes. Don't get me wrong, my colleagues here are lovely, but I tend to distance myself whenever I feel sad. Why do I feel sad? Because I want so many things at the same time that I end up doing nothing at all. Then I end up feeling powerless over my own life. Of course, being alone can affect you because you're always in your own head. That's why I'm always thinking of all those "wants".

That's why being with people is important. One thing's for sure, you've never lived your life until you live it being with people.

Comments

Popular Posts