It's fun working in Kedah and Perlis because you have the chance to cover Langkawi. And damn, Langkawi could be KICK ASS place when it wants to!.

The island is especially lively during big ass events like the water festival, Lima exhibition, or whatever Ku Nan and the rest of the tourism authorities can come up with.
The only problem is that you work while those around you wear sun hats and bikinis and laze around enjoying their vacation.
That's what Langkawi means to me. It's all work work work. I really have no time to sit on the beach and soak in the sights. Whenever I'm in Langkawi, it's always about meeting deadlines and catching stories and feeling stressed. It's a funny thing, don't you think? Whenever I go for a Langkawi assignment I see all those happy Malaysian folks with their large families "shopping sakan" in Kuah town- buying luggage, duty free cigarettes and chocolates. I see foreign tourists with their shirts off, riding on rented scooters and frolicking on the beach in Chenang. You say to yourself "Damn, I gots to get me some of dat shit. (say it like an African American rapper). But unfortunately, you have to file a story and catch a deadline.

But reporters, who often have to spend a night in Langkawi, have some windows of opportunity. Those times are used to eat and relax before the assignment continues, or whatever.

But I suppose if reporters want to go sightseeing in Langkawi, they could. It's all about managing your time. And Langkawi has plenty for everyone, most of the time lah.

Comments

Popular Posts