Finally, I Have Something to Write About



The last two weeks have been a blur of events. I performed in a theatre show. I travelled back home to JB. I came back here, and now I feel like I'm being used.

The theatre show last week came and went fast. I played a drag queen named Cik Tipah, a character I never imagined to play. I had fantasies of wearing women's clothes when I was younger--for sheer curiosity. I've always wondered what it's like to wear high heels. Truth: I once tried my mum's and sis' high heels when I was a kid- just for the heck of it..

The thing is, I've always been fascinated with the questions: "Could I be a woman? Was I woman in my previous life?"

So I finally got my chance to flaunt my feminine side, albeit on stage.

Man, it's tough acting as a transvestite dressed in flowing knee-length skirt and extra tight blouse. My bulging tummy was the object of an improvised joke on stage: "Ni, mengandung ke apa ni?" said my co-star Abang G.


As my fellow actor quipped that day "Ingat senang ke nak jadi darai?" Nope, memang susah berlakon jadi perempuan ok, walaupun perempuan jadian. Many told me I looked like a REAL woman! What can I say? I have feminine features - my face, my thick lips, my cheeks- all of which were hidden all these years underneath my goatie and moustache.

If not for my facial hair (and hairy legs too), I'd make one sexy mama, baby! And of course I had to Shave My Legs for This. Mind you, I have killer legs too. hehe....


Two actors striking a pose backstage before showtime



Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the show, which by the way, was a comedy piece. I abandoned all intelect and just razzled and dazzled, just letting it roll. I mean, I had learnt my lines, alhamdulillah. Once you've rehearsed enough, all you need to do is razzle and dazzle. The rest of the cast had busted their butt too. We practiced and practiced.



I only wished that this one actor was more serious in the job. We couldn't blame him because his character was probably cursed. He played a cop who apprehended the transvestites. The actor who played the character before him was also a primadonna. I hate dissing him in this, so let's just say he stalled much of our last few days of rehearsals.

An audience member said our show was a bit "kurang" as compared to last December's show. But there were those who said it was very enjoyable- to the point that our show converted a non-theatre to becoming a theatre fan!


There's No Place Like Home


I left for JB three days after my theatre show. My sister and I wanted to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday, so we decided to treat him to dinner.

It was a long bus trip to JB and back. It is such a weird existence being both in Kangar and Johor Bahru. My mind worked overtime, fathoming how a JB boy like me could end up working in a town like Kangar.

I only spent three days there, so had no time to catch up with my JB pals. Next time, guys, ok? I did get to "hook-up" in JB, but that never satisfies your soul, kan. Thankfully I balanced it out with hanging out with my family.

Life is fucked. You're either fucking, fucking high or fucking working. I have no point, I just wanted to say that.....

I felt no emotions being back in JB. That's what you get when you only pursue carnal pleasures. Sure you meet family and have dinner together, but what do you do after dinner? When you're 28, you start thinking about these things. Kan senang when we were in our early 20s; all you think about is enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Now, you start thinking "Oh, malas lah nak pergi clubbing, I'd rather stay home and read a book and watch a movie." What happened? Somebody get me the Sex and the City girls!




Reluctantly Loving This Place



After my long bus trips and debouchery, I finally settled back to my normal routine up north. After four days I feel rested. Personal note: never ride express buses for long distant travel. It's soooo tiring.

I started thinking of my question hari tu, "How did a JB boy like me end up in Kangar?" After three years living up north, I've learnt to accept my life.


A drive around Alor Star the other day made me realise how much I enjoy being up north. I like Alor Star. If not for Alor Star, which is a mere 45 minute drive south of Kangar, I would not have survived here. Also, I would not have survived if it weren't for Penang, which is about an hour's drive south from Alor Star. So for all these I am thankful.

Speaking of Alor Star, I like the fact that it has all necessities of a city slicker: two McDonald's, shopping malls, Tesco, Giant, Secret Recipe, three Popular Bookshops, and plenty of DVD shops in Star Parade. Thank God for Alor Star!!!

The town also has a kick-ass cruising spot. So that makes a Jack a happy camper.

Kangar, as everyone knows, is a much smaller town. The state of Perlis has less than 230,000 people, for crying out loud, so you can imagine how Kangar is- it's like your small town USA which masquerades as a state capital. Nevertheless, credit must be given to Perlis. Padang Besar is a quaint little bordertown near Thailand. The town, situated about 45km north of Kangar has great Thai eating places and a nice Duty Free shop selling everything from perfumes, shirts and chocolates to luggage and crockery. The Gapura Square bazaar in Padang Besar is a must-visit for shopaholics: It has baju, kain, immitation designer goods, dry foodstuff, etc. You can have yummy pulut ayam and tom-yam at the many stalls. The bazaar it is packed to the brim during weekends and school holidays.

This is my reality, folks. I am here in Perlis. I see green padi fields every day, and eat gulai rebung with daging during wedding feasts. Northerners love their beef in curries and soups.



I don't have many friends in Perlis, save for my gerai-owner pal, Nami. I frequent his shop whenever I have time. I like his food, though some may disagree with my opinion.

I have a great gang in Alor Star. I'm part of a theatre troupe called Pesari and I still keep in touch with my colleagues at the Alor Star office. Boss teacher, Bidder and Reese (names have been changed to protect their identities) are my close friends. I like hanging out with Bidder because he's a kindred spirit. Occassionally I have dinner with Boss teacher and the gang, so everything is damn cool.

I like going to Penang during off days to replenish my supply of imported magazines, or to have Starbucks or Coffee Bean.

Basically, my life is kinda ok lah, kan?




Before I forget



I feel that I'm being used. There's a rift in my theatre group, among one group and another group. The thing is, Group A needs something from Group B, and they need that thing desperately. Group

So who does Group A rope in to help them out in this impossible task? Me. Mr Nice Guy.

To their credit, Group A had asked the Group B guys to hand over ' the thing' that day. But the Group B guy said "NO". The thing in question is a memory card for our digicam, which recorded our show hari tu. Ingat MCA je yang ada Team A and B? Hah, kumpulan teater pun ada factions jugak, you all....

Aiyo perlu ke drama ni? Politics makes the world go round, I suppose....

Comments

Popular Posts