The 1990s

The only reason I wrote about the 80s is so that I could write about the 90s. It's my favourite decade thus far because I grew up during the decade. I was 10 when the 90s began and by the 1999 I was 19, so the era represents my teenage years.

It was also deliberate that I didn't talk about movies in the 80s. I only watched movies on TV when I was a kid. I only started going to the cinema when I was 10 years old. My first movie? Back To The Future Part III!

With that we begin our flashback to the crazy 90s....



I swear to God, I believe the 1990s was a renaissance era for film. It was an exciting time, inconsistent as it was, but nonetheless very exciting.

For every Being John Malkovich, you had a Clueless, but hey Hollywood couldn't be revolutionary every year.

1999 may be seen as one very critical year. In that one year there were so many good films: American Beauty, Fight Club, The Matrix, Being John Malkovich, The Sixth Sense, Magnolia, Boys Don't Cry. Even the Blair Witch Project, though it was just one big fiasco, could be seen as a really ambitious publicity stunt though shame about the movie.

And who can forget those memorable characters and one-liners? Everything from "Run Forrest Run!" to "You had me at Hello" to "Houston we have a problem". Hello, the 1990s were all about great movies. And yes many of those movies have stood the test of time. Who could forget the lovable Forrest Gump? Or the Figutive, Dr Richard Kimball who desperately wanted to prove his innocence? Or even The One, Keanu Reeves in The Matrix or Hillary Swank's gang-rape scene in Boys Don't Cry.

Remember that scene when Rose had to let go of Jack in Titanic? Or when Cameron Diaz put on that 'hair gel' on her hair!!! That was a classic!

Or maybe you remember when Bruce Willis sacrificed his life for planet Earth in Armageddon. Whatever your memory was, it's bound to be somewhere in the 1990s

Here are some titles that come to mind:

Good Will Hunting (1997)
Go (1999)
Clueless (1995)
Reality Bites (1994)
Singles (1992)
Pretty Woman (1990)
The Fugitive (1993)
Howard's End (1992)
The Lion King (1994)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
The Sixth Sense (1999)
Chaplin (1992)
My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
Schindler's List (1993)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
Forrest Gump (1994)
There's Something About Mary (1998)
Philadelphia (1993)
Interview With a Vampire (1994/5?)



Of Old Cinemas and the Oscars


Though the final Back To The Future was a fun movie, I remember most the second movie I watched in the cinema, Pretty Woman. It was 1990 and cinemas were still these dingy looking places with sticky floors and vendors selling kacang puteh outside. I remember my mother and I used to be cinema buddies. Pretty Woman was very funny and very romantic, just like a modern Cinderella tale. By the way, isn't Julia Roberts' best friend in that movie starred in Just Shoot Me? Julia and Richard Gere were just so cute together and Hector Elizando as well (the hotel manager). This movie was just the beginning of some very good films in the decade.

In 1990, the Best Picture Oscar went to Dances With Wolves. I remember that year's Oscars because it was one of the first that I watched and from then on I'd watch it every year (Except this year because I was working late).
The other nominees that year were Awakenings, Goodfellas, Ghost, and The Godfather Part III.

Ghost was a touching story which and it had that great song Unchained Melody played during the pottery scene. Hmmm...But I loved Whoopi Goldberg, who provided the comic relief in Ghost. "Molly, you in danger girl..., " was one of the funny one liners she had. You just have to see it, man.

In 1991, there was Terminator 2: Judgement Day which featured Linda Hamilton and all her muscles. That movie produced the Edward Furlong, whose star didn't shine for very long.

However, another young actor debuted in a good movie that year. And he has managed to shine till today. Brad Pitt got down and dirty with Gena Davis in 'Thelma and Louise', and he was outstanding with his sunkissed looks.

But that movie was one the gems during that year 1991. The year that also had 'The Silence of the Lambs' which had the kick-ass Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. Both Foster and Hopkins won Oscars for their role. The movie also won Best Picture and Director. Other flicks nominated that year were (hold on, I'm trying to recall Billy Crystal's song and dance routine) Beauty and The Beast, Bugsy, Cape Fear? what else.



Also there was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, a movie that came out when Kevin Costner was still hot. That was pre-Waterworld, mind you.

(to be continued.......)

Comments

Popular Posts