It's a bird, It's a plane......

I finally watched Superman Returns last night. Finally. At long last Superman's back. And what a trip down memory lane it was. All these emotions just flooded through my head, taking me back to my childhood. I first watched Christopher Reeve's version of Superman when I was five or six-years-old. When I watched the orginal film I went, "wow!" Flying man saves the world. Flying man in red cape saves the world and turns back time by spinning the earth backwards.
I always wanted to be Superman. Fuck the other Superheroes. Superman's the bomb! Sure. The X-men are cute and kick-ass. Batman had its moment of glory circa 1989 when Michael Keaton fought Jack Nicholson. (you many notice I judge superheroes based on their movie versions. Not much of a comicbook fan) Of all superheroes, Superman holds special memories for me. And it helps that it had great music, including a beautiful love theme (Could You Read My Mind....do you know all the things you do to me....)

I was pleasantly surprised Superman Returns retained the original musical score. Even the opening credits was very similar to the orginal late 70s movie. God bless director Bryan Singer for keeping to the original spirit of Superman. Even the bad guys in Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) and his girlfriend (Parker Possey) was just like the characters in the old Superman. Gene Hackman played Lex Luthor in the 1970/80s movies.

As a kid I watched Superman with the awe of a boy who wanted to fly. Now, 20-odd years later, I'm watching Superman Returns as a Reporter. Yes, people. Let's say it out loud: Reporter. And what do Clark Kent and Lois Lane do? What's their job? Well done. They're reporters for a newspaper called the Daily Planet.

I only realised this damning fact when boyishly good-looking Brandon Routh waltz clumsily back into the Daily Planet office during the first hour. He emerges from the elevator and sprawled in front of him is the Daily Planet newsroom. In the 70s, the newsroom had bulky looking desktop computers on several tables, but most of the newsman were still using typewriters. Brandon Routh walked into a newsroom with flatscreen TV monitors hung up on each concrete pillar. The reporters used swanky laptop computers. Sounds familiar? Not really lah, some of us still use ancient office equipment. Statement, gitu....

What the hell, man? Clark Kent's a freakin' reporter. Lois Lane's a freakin' reporter, a damn good one, some more! Kononnya Lane won a Pulitzer prize for writing a story entitled 'Why The World Doesn't Need Superman."

Yes, I'm rambling. What else is new, right? But my point is Superman rocks! Everyone thinks it's a great movie. And it takes me back to the time I wore that freakin' superman t-shirt which came with a red cape. God! I was a Superman fan! Long Live the man of steel!

Comments

Popular Posts