I'm back up north and it feels oh so weird.
Being a away for vacation and coming back to work is so strange. I have been to various places during this past week: Johor, Singapore, Kuantan. It's all wonderful because I got to meet up with old friends.
I realised how precious friendship is as my friends and I get older. And we miss each other more when we live far apart.
I realised all that last week, when my good friend Kay kissed me goodbye after our movie/makan outing. It was a simple peck on the cheek. I was a bit surprised at his show of affection - but I realised the both of us had been friends since kindergarten - and that's almost two decades ago; so it was just an honest show of emotion. Kay had been talking about someone he met during a trip to Bangkok. He was pouring his heart out all throughout our supper at the mamak restaurant. By the way, Eff was also there . I've been friends with Eff since we were nine years old, so he's another long time buddy of mine.

Eff was going on about oh, just little things - his parents desire to keep the family close by (meaning: to stay around Johor). Kay was talking about his work trips to London, Morocco. Kay gets around nowadays. And he was persuading Eff and I to go to Bangkok. (A few days later, Eff text messages a proposal to holiday in Amsterdam, as opposed to Bangkok)- Eff said that Amsterdam was a more "international" when it came to its "meat market". Perlu ke? hehe...

While both friends talked over their roti naan and roti canai, I talked about the recent general election. Tetiba je I felt as if I knew a lot. Guess what? I actually enjoyed talking about the elections with my friends. Kay was in the dark over the election after being overseas for the past few months. Eff was sharing some juicy stories he heard about our country's beloved administration.

All in all, it was a gay'ol time. It was so nice to catch up with old friends. Being single and all, you really have no one other than your family and friends. And these are the people who really matter. I admit to being envious of those who are married or those with boyfriends or girlfriends. But then again even when you are single, you're actually not. Friends are always there to lend a sympathetic ear and a shoulder to cry on.

------------

I went to Singapore last week to stock up on CDs, books and magazines. My first stop, as always was HMV and I picked up albums by American rapper Lupe Fiasco and new band Boys Like Girls.I love Lupe Fiasco's Superstar song! Bookwise I bought the Ethan Hawke's first novel, The Hottest State and the Michael J Fox memoir, Lucky Man.
I fell in love with Hawke's other novel Ash Wednesday- this actor/director dude has a knack for capturing romantic relationships. He is observant about all the feelings and quirkiness involved in male-female relationships- that's what I love about Ash Wednesday, a grungy road trip story about an ex-soldier and his pregnant girlfriend.

Comments

Popular Posts