As the saying goes, to hit the ground running. My first day in the southernmost bureau may be described that way.

It was a Saturday and there we were; my boss and me. Two other colleagues were scheduled to work that day, but one of them took a medical leave because she had fainted while driving to work. Yikes. The other colleague had his feet stiched up because he had stepped on a piece of glass near the office.
So I became the bidan terjun, or last-minute replacement for my colleagues' assignment. My boss was away for a menteri besar assignment, so he had to instruct me through the phone.
"Engkau pergi yang assignment yang dia pautu pergi tu, lepas tu buat double-page centresperead for regional pages."
That was fine with me. I was rarring to start work. I know, very semangat, kan? A colleague said that I will burn out within a week if I continue with my semangat terlebih-lebih attitude.
So there I was, going for the assignment. Mind you, I was in my hometown and I was driving through familiar roads to get to the assignment. I was heading to a shopping mall, which was in the news for being brought back to life after being abandoned for years. It all seemed surreal.

Was I really working in my hometown? I worked in a faraway northern state, and now I was back home.

I'm now woking for a really big bureau, so there was definitely more work to do as compared to Hangar town (the nick name I gave for my last posting place).

So instead of the usual two or three assignments daily, I now have about two assignments, and then I translation about three stories from our sister company, and later at night I would have another function/event/food review for a centrespread in regional pages. Mind you, we need to hit two birds with one stone (or three or four) every time we go for an assignment. You see, we have a regional pull-out which consists of many sections. The pull out has a two-page centrespread, two pages of local news stories, another two pages of food reviews/entertainment/around-the-town events AND a back column for local residents.

So...the rule of thumb is that when one goes for an assignment, one has to look for centrespread/news/back page column.
Pheewww....

In this regard, aku tabik the guys and gals who work for this bureau....

It's great to be surrounded by friends here. And I have some great friends here.
I do miss my friends in Kedah and Perlis, and those in KL. But hey, I will meet them again. It's not like I won't get off days to go up north.
I cannot help but miss the north, and all the people there, but life goes on. Life goes on. Life goes on. Life goes on.

Life goes on.

Comments

Popular Posts