My parents are off to Cairo, Egypt and I'll be home alone for the next ten days. I haven't been home alone since I was 21, and that is already seven years ago. Back then I was going through my anti-"following parents to vacation days". Back then, I was still a uni student who was on semester break. It was a memorable semester break not because I was home alone, but because it was the time when I watched Gladiator and Russell Crowe won all those Oscars. The year was 2001. It was March- Oscar season, and I watched excitedly during that morning live telecast as Hollywood handed out its most prestigious award trophies.
Mum and dad were vacationing at my sister's place in Lembah Beringing, and I decided, fuck if I follow them: I studied in KL so why do I need to spend my semester holidays in KL as well? Of course, I loved KL at that time for all its magazine shops and Music stores and vastness of its glitzy shopping malls. But I made a promise to myself to stay away from KL during my semester breaks that university year- Six months prior (around October 2000) I stayed away from KL as well, and refused to follow my folks for any trips to sis' house.


ANYways, I am home alone, people. And of course, my friends are telling me, like: Dude, partayyy lah engkau. Ajak whoever over and frolick in privacy. But, really folks I have no such intention. I'd rather keep safe and just enjoy my solitude with dad's cats. Hahahah...Yup, I have to take care of his cats- and there are about seven of them around the house now. The cats are okay because most of them go out most of the time. Feeding duty is on the maid, but I will have to buy more catfood if it runs out. And Dad told me to try putting the three kittens into their cage at night -something which is done every night and something which only my Dad can do because the kittens are scared of me and my mom . We'll see how. But these cats ah, they are crazy for my dad. Everytime he goes off to the mosque during Magrib, the cats disappear. But once he comes back home, they're all over the place. If it's just my mother and me, jangan harap the cats to be around.

Cats aside, nyah, I'm struggling to write this piece of fishermen. It's my offday today and tomorrow, but I feel that I need to do the work now cause I may be pressed for time once I start work on Saturday. But I am staring at the computer right now, and the story is just not flowing out of me. Am trying very hard to practice a tip which a foreign correspondent once told me- it was something her former boss used to tell her and her colleagues: "Don't think, just type." In this day of overly thinking about things that are unnecessary, maybe it's quite necessary to do so?" Capisce? Argghhhh

Comments

Anonymous said…
hey lil bro...

my parents will be away, too, till raya haji. i have the house to myself, but, of course, sharing it with my sister and youngest bro. so, no hanky-panky..heh.. heh!!

take care!!

~zuls
Hayden Ahmad said…
it's been a week since my parents went overseas and still no hanky pany....I'm so good! hahahah

Popular Posts