Raya Ramblings

Hari Raya was very quiet this year. Mummy tak nak buat open house, so takde the usual crowd on the first day. Not that we always had a big crowd pun- it was always my mum and dad's few friends + my brother and his kids.
This year my sister raya sebelah husband dia.

I actually felt bored on raya- can u believe it! I felt -(brace yourself!)- like working! Oh no..am I sick or what? But seriously, I wish I could be distracted by work instead of going through a really boring raya. We didn't go out much during the first day of Raya- Fizal and me even sempat makan Pizza Hut for lunch and shopping kat Jusco.

I read in The Star that years from now many Hari Raya practices would be extinct, except for Sembahyang Raya and other stuff that are a compulsory part of the religion. (By the way sembahyang raya is sunat). The article went on saying that even ketupat and rendang mught make way for other simpler form of food, i.e food in the form of pills.

My niece, Puteri Sabrina asked her mum what is Hari Raya- and her mum answered ists about celebrating and eating ketupat and rendang. Pretty much true..for me Raya is about asking for forgiveness from parents and shit like that. Which is cool cause it gives us a reason to return home for the holiday.

For me, Raya marks the end of Ramadhan, where we celebrate after fasting for a month. Many visit the graves of their loved ones and most people visit friends, relatives and the such during Syawal. It's all good, despite the fact that some do it in a 'sekadar syarat' kinda way. When I was in Melaka the other day, there was this one family who visits one household for just a while and then moves on to other houses. I'm sure they have their reason. Maximising the number of houses in the shortest amount of time, maybe.

But is it all sincere? Or is it just because it's Raya so let's go and visit people cause that's what we gotta do.
Dude, I know it's a waste of time to think about such things as sincerity in the things we do everyday. Hello, as if I'm totally sincere in doing my job. Sometimes you just gotta do it to make ends meet, you know.

BUT...will this tradition last 50 years from now? I'm thinking it will la..maybe the baju Melayu might go through a revolution. I saw the Ruffedge guy wearing a shirt with matching slacks combined with a sampin- maybe fashion-wise it'll change. But essentially- Hari Raya as we all know and love- will remain one kick ass holiday that'll remain relevant through the ages.


************

THE ACCIDENT

While on the way back to JB from Melaka, our Mercedez kena langgar from behind. It was a four car pile-up in the middle of the North South Highway. But thankfully our car was quite ok- just the back bumper was smashed. But the Wira behind us was badly hit. Both its front and back part were wrecked badly- taking the impact from the cars behind. The thing was- the car in front of us had stopped totally (cars were so close to each other that second day of Raya). So we pun stop lah, And I believe the car behind us also stopped. Then we got hit three times from behind, it was the impact from the cars behind us which didn't stop on time.

Comments

Popular Posts