My Favourite Underdogs


INXS were never the best band during their heyday. During the late 80s, you could name several other acts which were far cooler or more successful than this Australian band. They had their 15 minutes of fame- their album Kick spurned out hit singles 'Need You Tonight', 'New Sensation' and 'Mystify'. Their vocalist, the late Michael Hutchence became the curly long-haired pin-up boy of the moment, and they provided knock-out videos which made the MTV generation beg for more. BUT, they were never THE NUMBER ONE ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.


Personally I've always been interested in the "Second Best" bands. I prefered Stone Temple Pilots to grunge kings Nirvana or Pearl Jam.
INXS were the underdogs. You would be humming their songs today but after several months you end up loathing it. Songs like 'Suicide Blonde' and 'Disappear' might have fallen into that list, but if you really look back, they had some really great songs.

My proper introduction to INXS started with their 1992 album 'WELCOME TO WHEREVER YOU ARE'. It was the grunge era, MTV had just arrived on Singapore TV, so there I was, 12-years-old staying up till 2am and watching this careless hair dude jumping up and down on screen singing 'Heaven Sent'.

But their follow-up single 'Not Enough Time' made me stand up and pay attention.
The clip was a trippy video for 1992 standards. And the song was lovely.

And I was lost for words in your arms
Attempting to make sense of my aching heart
If I could just be everything
and everyone to you
This life would just be so easy
Not enough time for all that I want from you
Not enough time for every kiss
And every touch.....


OK. Looking back at the lyrics, it seems like it was a song dedicated to someone you wanted to get laid with. But who cares? I loved the song. And I love 'Beautiful Girl'. So when I bought their Greatest Hits collection two years ago, I started to listen to their songs over and over.

I backtracked further and listened to their earlier songs. I discovered a wealth of music which many had forgotten about, and other tracks which had gone unnoticed.

Beyond the macho-seductiveness of 'Need You Tonight', there are other tunes which are more subtle and big on heart.

There is the beautiful ballad "Never Tear Us Apart" which was often played on my car stereo just before my transfer. I would always think of friends whom I left behind when I hear that song...

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you
I love your precious heart
I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never tear us apart

We could live for a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I'd make wine from your tears
I told you
That we could fly
Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why



'Don't Change' is a great track which the guys often play as an encore- when I hear it I just think about the carefree bliss of youth--- Dude, I picture a girl and guy, complete with frizzy 80s hairdo, running down the hill, girl wearing the guys's leather jacket and guy promising that they'll run away somewhere to start a new life- you know, the stuff of an 80s rock ballad. Mind you, the song ain't a typical Bryan Adams/Bon Jovi ditty. It's slightly more Australian and New Wave-sounding.


The funniest thing is when you see Michael during those early early days- he looked sooo young and so budak budak. You could see the beginning of it all. Michael evolved from this awkward young boy during the start, into this flamboyant rock star during his later years.
Essentially though, it was his voice which attracted me. It was soulful and blues-y at the same time. He could hit the high notes like a pro and make the lower notes sound sexy.

All I'm saying is that the band was talented. They had some really nice songs. Despite Michael's notority in becoming a womaniser and the Farris brothers' contantly looking more scarier and scarier in their videos-- INXS could really rock. They were, in my personal view, a great band.

Long Live the music of INXS!



**********************************************************************************


My Favourite Underdogs (Part Two)


THE FINAL THREE: One of these dudes will become the new singer of INXS.


















The new INXS singer should not try to evoke the old INXS. I agree with a friend who wrote in her blog that the new singer shouldn't sound too much like the late Michael Hutchence. I've only watched a few episodes of Rock Star: INXS, but I already think it's a fabulous show. I guess I'm quite biased when it comes to shows about Rock music- I'm a big fan of Rock. Plus, I do love the band.

Whoever gets picked as the new singer will have to re-invent INXS and hopefully bring them into the second chapter in their career.
Maybe they could've picked a new vocalist but change the band's name. They could never re-do the old INXS. Whatever happened during their time with Hutchence is priceless. You could never duplicate that, and there will never be another singer which represented the band better.
Sometimes I feel that Hutchence was very much the Ronan Keating or Belinda Carlisle or Robbie Williams- the band would have been nothing without him. But then again, plenty of their songs were written by the other members.
Chemistry is another issue- you cannot re-create that musical relationship between Hutchence and his band.

But I can understand how the rest of the band feel- we're talking about guys who love making music- they live and breathe it. It's only natural that they want to get their act together again for the sake of their fans and for their own sanity.






Comments

Popular Posts