Pop Culture in the 80s

The 1980s were all about shoulder pads, frizzy hair and a couple of bozzos who thought images should accompany music. Oh, yeah there was also the Proton Saga, some guy named Mahathir, another guy named Lee Kuan Yew and some nut from Johor who became the Yang Dipertuan Agong. This is a FLASHBACK.. to the 80s.....


Queue Michael Jackson's "Beat It"...


OK OK so I was practically a child when the 80 started, but heck I can stil remember Magnum PI and TJ Hooker God dammit! Ahh...TV was one of my favourite pastimes when I was a kid. No wonder I ended up wearing glasses, must have been all that time in front of the idiot box.

The first shows I remember were of course, the Kid shows. One that stands out in particular is Sesame Street. Till this day, my mother believes that I learned English from that darn show. Really, how much could you learn from a big yellow bird who has an imaginary friend named Snufflafagus. And Bert and Ernie? Honey, they were the first gay couple who could actually live together! Sorry kids. But apparently, you CAN learn a lot from singing songs about the letter A and the numbers 12 and 7. And don't get me started on Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch.

Next on the list is another similar programme, the Electric Company. Gosh these shows made bellbottoms acceptable during the 80s.

3-2-1 Contact! I love the song. And remember they had a special on Malaysia once? Edison Twins? I remember the songs too. If you ask me about hese shows, the first things I remember are the songs. Secondly, I remember how vigorously those muppets on Sesame St shook whenever they were dancing.

But hands down the best song was from the Elephant Show, I think that's what it's called lah..

Scimmering ki dink ki dink scimeringke dooo... I ,love you...
Scimmering ki dink ki dink scimeringke dooo... I ,love you...
I love you in the morning and in the afternoon
I love in the evening and underneath the moon.....
I love you, woo boo boo be doo

If my parents were nice, they allowed me to stay up late to watch more adult fare.

First on the list is TJ Hooker (Astagfirullah..) OK, I only remember cops in TJ Hooker, that's all. My fav was "V". Wooah...Diana the commander bitch, aliens who look like humans but peel off their skin and voila! their these lizard creature dudes. Remember how their voices were like when you spoke in front of a fan. And then later their voices became normal. Oh yeah! And they ate mice, cockroaches and other animals. Gross! But it was so cool. Those spaceships, the laser guns, the red unforms, the Resistence. Cool. Tabik la lu...V!


WHOSE CAREER LASTED LONGER? :Remington (right) and Laura were the main characters in Remington Steele.

One of my favourite dramas was definitely REMINGTON STEELE. I'd watch that show every week. Never get tired of it. Loved that episode when the girl gets all her hair blown in that air ventilator. But I'd really look forward to the show. Besides their on-screen romance, it was fun watching a very English, gentlemenly guy solving crime with a very serious, 'by the book' sidekick (Laura).


To be continued....

Comments

Popular Posts