Those Days

Four years ago, I acted in a play in university. I took this course called Play Production, so our main task was to set up this theatre show at the end of the semester. I was 21-years-old, in my final year in university, and it was one of the craziest times of my life.

I started cruising, clubbing and getting laid on a regular basis. I was also doing some of the best work in my studies. That semester in 2001 I took up classes in poetry, drama, acting---- basically all the stuff that I sooo love!

I remember one night when I met a French dude, and he lived in this swanky pad near Bangsar. It was surreal, because he had classic French literature books stacked together with P.Ramlee CDs. Talk about diversity.
That night I had my first cigarette, and I really enjoyed the company.


I remember the night when I went clubbing for the first time. And how the person I went with, deserted me halfway through. I went in the club as a duo, but I left the club alone. I was so pissed off, but at least I was finally introduced to the world of clubbing. It opened flood gates, I started clubbing every weekend. I couldn't stay put in campus.

I remember when I fell down and broke my arm. That scar I have on my left arm, that happened during this time. It was the night before my theatre show, the day of my Media Literacy class presentation and also my acting class recitals. Basically, on the day I had so many important events---I fell down and broke my arm. My friend and I were taking a shortcut to class that August morning-- we went through this construction site between my faculty and the Education Faculty. I tripped on this big root and fell straight down 180 degrees, elbow first.

It was the loudest scream I had ever let out. And it was the most painful pain I had ever felt. I thought I was about to die. My friend looked back, and was shocked to hear me scream that loud. When he realised I was hurt, he panicked. Couldn't blame him, he just panicked and didn't know what to do.

There I was, lying on my back and my left arm was piercing with pain. But I realised that my legs were unhurt. I was like "OK, my arm hurts like hell. But the rest of my body was OK." I looked around and I told my friend:"Dude, go to the Education Faculty and call up Last or Erna for help."

I was the one who took control of the situation. Me, the one who was injured.

When my friend calmed down, he called my friend with his handphone. By that time I was standing up. Erna, brought me to the hospital and there I was lying in the ward. The doctor said I fractured my one of my elbow bones.

Thankfully the doctor allowed me to go back to campus to act in the play.

So there I was, wearing this cool Renaissance era costume, with a cast on my arm. It wasn't that apparent coz the costume covered it really well. Man, the play was a blast. It was this scary, magical story with spells and drama, and romance and shit. Had lots of fun doing it.

I remember my friend helping me put on the costume with great difficulty because of the cast on my arm. I remember falling down, and thinking that --wow, nothing ever goes as planned! But frankly all I was thinking was that I was having one of the craziest semesters of my life, learning poetry and going clubbing all the time, and it all ended with that fall.

I couldn't help but think maybe the accident was a way of telling me "OK, there, enough with the craziness."

Comments

Popular Posts